I’m not sure these coconut chocolate chip banana muffins need much introduction – just trust me that they are absolutely, 100% delicious! I don’t know how I’ve been writing this blog for 4ish years and not posted a banana bread recipe before. Shame! Of course, I wanted to make the classic banana muffin a bit healthier. I’ve made these ones completely vegan, incorporated whole wheat flour, and sweetened them with natural sugar (maple syrup). Also, the unsweetened shredded coconut is a must. I love how the coconut shreds sprinkled on top get lightly toasted in the oven.
I took the first batch of these to a brunch and they were a hit! I made a couple more tweaks to the recipe to make them even better. These muffins freeze well, so I’ll find myself making a batch whenever I have a few really ripe bananas since they are great for snacking on-the-go. If you decide to make a batch of these muffins, share them on Instagram and tag me! I love to see what you guys are cooking up. 🙂Print
These vegan coconut chocolate chip banana muffins are sure to become a staple in your kitchen for healthy snacking on the go.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons warm water
- 3 bananas
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened (plus extra for topping)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease your muffin tin with cookie spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flax seed and water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until gel forms.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas well with a fork. Stir in the melted coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients and flax/water mixture into the banana mixture until well combined.
- Add the shredded coconut and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle batter with extra shredded coconut flakes.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until coconut flakes are lightly browned and toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Adapted from this recipe from Cookie + Kate: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/healthy-banana-muffins-recipe/
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 218 kcals
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 150 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg