Loaded baked sweet potatoes are one of my go-to meals when I am not really in the mood to cook. You can really load them up with just about anything which is why I love them so much! Plus, sweet potatoes happen to have a lot of great nutrients like potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin B6. My standard loaded sweet potato has black beans, sautéed spinach, avocado/guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce. Last weekend, I was inspired to whip up a Mediterranean version and came up with these curry chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes. I had the oven on since I was roasting up some other vegetables and roasted up a couple of potatoes as well. If I want to make this in less than 30 minutes, I’ll just microwave the potato.
My shopping list always includes sweet potatoes, spinach and beans so I am already halfway to making a meal like this one! I am currently obsessed with pomegranate and have been using them a lot in salads of late. I thought they would be a fun addition here since they pair well with other Mediterranean flavors. The chopped pistachios were a last minute add-on, but I loved them! They add just a bit of crunch and really round out these potatoes. I just love meals like this one that are healthy and super simple. Healthy meals don’t have to take forever to make!
Looking for more sweet potato recipes? Check out this zucchini, tomato, and corn pizza with sweet potato crust OR my spicy asian style sweet potato noodles.
- 2 sweet potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (5 oz.) bag baby spinach leaves
- Dash of salt and ground black pepper
- Yogurt, pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachios, cilantro, lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Rub with olive oil and arrange cut side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.
- OPTIONAL: You can also just cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave rather than roasting for faster prep.
- Add olive oil and chickpeas to a skillet. Stir in curry powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until chickpeas are starting to lightly browned.
- Stri in the spinach and cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, add 1 potato to a plate and add ½ of the chickpea/spinach mixture. Top with a dollop of plain yogurt, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.