Lurking in the earliest archives of my blog, there used to be a lentil meatball recipe. However, I was so embarrassed by the photos, I have since deleted it. (Although, I have used one of the photos for a “what not to do” slide for a couple talks I’ve given on food photography! Lol.) since that recipe was no longer living on the blog, it was about time I posted a new and very much improved lentil meatball one! Since I already have a tasty Italian flavored vegetarian white bean meatball recipe, I wanted to create a “meat”ball that could could go well with a variety of different sauces. These lentil meatballs do just that! I’ve made them a couple of times and served them up with pasta sauce, this curry yogurt sauce, and now the yummy curry sauce I shared below.
Since it is just Will and I, we had plenty of leftovers from this recipe so I packed it up in my lunchbox for work the rest of the week. To make sure this dish is vegan, just double check the curry paste as some contain fish sauce. You should be able to find the curry paste in the Asian section of most major grocery stores. We keep a couple of cans of coconut milk and curry paste in our pantry so we can easily make dishes like this one whenever the craving hits!Print
Who needs take-out when you can make these delicious vegan lentil meatballs with curry sauce served over brown rice and topped with chopped cashews?
For the Lentils:
- 1 cup small brown lentils
- 2 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
For the Curry Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 baby bell peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (make sure it is vegan as some aren’t)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1/2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1/2 (5 oz) bag spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the lentils in a colander under cold running water. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add the broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. Take the lid off and cook another 10 minutes until lentils are tender. Drain any additional cooking liquid. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, add the oil and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the lentils and all the other remaining ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until lentils form a chunky dough that can be formed into balls.
- Spray a baking sheet or glass baking dish with cooking spray. Form 15 two inch balls with the lentil dough. Arrange in a single layer on your baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- To make the curry sauce, add the oil, onion, and peppers to a skillet. Saute for 3-4 minutes until onion and peppers are tender. add the curry paste, ginger, soy sauce, and coconut milk. Stir well to combine. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add the meatballs and gently stir to coat is sauce. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until meatballs and sauce are heated through.
- Serve over cooked brown rice and top with chopped cilantro and chopped cashews.