This southwest sheet pan dinner highlights two of my favorite healthy foods – sweet potatoes and black beans! Sometimes I feel like I could almost rebrand my blog to be the bean dietitian since I feel like I eat and talk about them so much! (Seriously though, beans are such an under-appreciated super food!) Just like the teriyaki tofu sheet pan dinner, I posted a couple of weeks ago, the name of the game here is simplicity. All the ingredients are cooked on one sheet pan with no additional pots or pans needed to prep your dinner. I’ve made this recipe with cheese and without (for a vegan version) and both were equally delicious. In fact, I think I preferred the vegan one. 🙂
You can get creative when serving this dish if you’d like. It’s great on by itself, or you can use it as a stuffing for tacos OR serve it on top of a salad with your favorite dressing. As far as topics, I like to serve mine with some sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.Print
This southwest sheet pan dinner with sweet potatoes, black beans and roasted veggies is a truly simple healthy dinner that can be finished in 1 hour. Vegan (option), Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional – omit if vegan)
To Serve: chopped cilantro, salsa, dairy or non-dairy sour cream, hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes and olive oil to a sheet pan and stir to coat potatoes in oil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and add zucchini, red pepper, and corn to the pan. Sprinkle with onion powder, oregano, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon to coat vegetables in seasoning. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from the oven and stir in black beans and sprinkle with cheese (if using). Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.