These right here are my new favorite Christmas (or anytime) cookie! If I were stuck on a deserted island, peanut butter may be the one food that I would want to have with me. I seriously eat it every day. That might be one reason why these are my favorite cookie?! I mean, you can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. 😉
These vegan peanut butter cookies are super simple to make and easy to decorate too with just a bit of vegan chocolate. (No need to dig out your icing bags and tips!) I just melted my two different chocolates in the microwave and used a fork to drizzle it over the top of the cookies once they had cooled.
A word about the peanut butter… I tested this recipe using a couple of different brands/types of peanut butter. I found that I preferred the cookies made with a super creamy Skippy-like peanut butter. (I used O Organics no stir creamy peanut butter.) Usually I try to avoid peanut butter with palm oil and sugar, but in the case of holiday baking I make an exception. The natural peanut butter that you have to stir just doesn’t work for these. I tried using it for one batch and they were just too oily. If you do want to go the natural route though, I found that the recipe also worked well with the “grind your own” peanut butter from Whole Foods. The cookies came out a little more crispy with the fresh ground nut butter and the dough was a bit more crumbly, but still tasty!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2½ tablespoons water
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup oil (melted coconut, canola, or other neutral oil)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup creamy, no-stir peanut butter
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- For the drizzle: ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips, ½ cup vegan white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the mixing bowl, add the flax seed and water. Stir well with a fork and let sit for 2-3 minutes until it starts to form a gel.
- Add the sugars and oil to the same bowl. Mix with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and peanut butter. Run the mixer another minute to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder with a whisk. Add the the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Mix for a minute or until dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1" balls. Press with a fork to flatten. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges of the cookies start to lightly brown.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. (If you try to remove them right away, they will crumble.)
- Once the cookies are cool, melt the chocolates in the microwave in 2 separate bowls. Use a fork to drizzle over the top of the cookies. Transfer to the refrigerator to allow chocolate to set, about 10 minutes. Serve!