The Recipe Redux theme for this month was to create a recipe with 7 ingredients or less. At first, I thought that shouldn’t be too hard until I got into my kitchen. It’s actually quite a challenge! I wanted to make something that could be whipped up quickly for an easy weeknight meal but still meet the 7 ingredient rule. This vegan sausage and kale pasta is just that!
For a tasty vegetarian option, top this skillet with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for a couple of minutes until it melts and browns slightly. I made it this way yesterday and loved it! As for the sausage, there are many great vegan sausages available in the grocery store now. Some of my favorite brands include Field Roast and Tofurky. The recipe makes 4 servings, so our family of 2 had leftovers I can take to work with me tomorrow.
For even more 7 ingredient recipe inspiration, check out the round up of links below from my fellow Recipe Redux-ers!
- 2 cups whole grain pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vegan Italian sausages (I used Tofurky), sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- (Optional - vegetarian): 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- In an oven-safe skillet with tall sides, add olive oil and sliced sausage. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add the kale and cover, cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. Add the cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, and olives. Cook for 5-7 minutes to heat everything well.
- For vegetarian option: sprinkle the mozzarella on top and place skillet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently until melted and just starting to brown. Serve immediately.
[inlinkz_linkup id=611230 mode=1]