Will and I just got back from a lovely wedding weekend in Memphis for our friends Alex and Johnathan. Our flight back to Chicago this morning was early so we had most of the day off today to catch up on grocery shopping, weekend food prep, and of course an annual tradition – watching Elf! I was in the mood to do a little bit of baking so I whipped up a batch of these macaroons. Macaroons are so easy to make and are absolutely delicious. I put a different spin on these by adding some peppermint extract and drizzling in dark chocolate. Macaroons are a great little treat for those working to stay healthy over the holidays. They are a lot lower in calories than other cookies, plus you have the added benefit of some fiber from the flaked coconut. Macaroons are also a great DIY gift for family and friends – even those with food allergies since they are gluten-free!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons
(Makes 12-15; Gluten-Free, Low Fat)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1-2 ounces melted dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place egg whites in bowl and whip until they form soft peaks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for chocolate to the whipped eggs. Stir gently until well mixed.
- Drop coconut mixture by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies begin to brown around the edges. Set on the counter to cool.
- Melt chocolate over the stove. Drizzle onto macaroons. Let cool and serve!