When I was younger, my grandma was the first one to introduce me to the joy of baking. Throughout elementary school, my dad would ship us off to Pennsylvania every summer to spend time with our grandparents and cousins. (We lived in Arizona at the time.) My grandma was always making fresh bread, pies, or cookies. In fact, the smell of fresh baked bread will always remind me of those summers. I picked up a few things along the way as I watched and helped her in the kitchen from time to time. My grandma has since passed away, but any time I am baking in my kitchen these days I think of her.
Since strawberries and rhubarb are so prevalent at the farmer’s market right now, I wanted to use them in something special. I had seen galettes on other people’s blogs before and I had been itching to try it out. Basically, it’s a simple pie crust filled with fruit and baked on a cookie sheet. Served with a bit of whipped cream, this is a classy dessert for your summer fresh strawberries and rhubarb!Print
Make the most of summers best strawberries and rhubarb in this classy strawberry rhubarb galette dessert.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 pound strawberries, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 egg yolk
- Pour flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar into a large bowl. Chop chilled butter into 1/4 inch pieces and then add to the flour. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, quickly crumble the butter and flour together until butter is in pea sized pieces.
- Pour cold water into flour and butter mixture. Mix until it starts to form a solid dough. Pour out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash, de-stem, quarter and slice the strawberries. Slice the rhubarb stems into 1/3 inch wide pieces. Toss strawberries with the other 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, corn starch, lemon zest, and sliced rhubarb. Toss until evenly coated.
- On a floured counter or sheet of wax paper, roll out the chilled dough until 1/4″-1/3 inch thick. Pour strawberry rhubarb mixture onto the middle of the dough and fold up 2″ of the dough over the fruit. Continue the entire way around.
- Whip the egg yolk and 1/2 tablespoon of water together in a small bowl and then brush it along the folded edges of the galette. Sprinkle edges with brown sugar.
- Place galette onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve with whipped topping.