Fall is officially here. Time to start putting pumpkin and roasted winter squash in everything. Am I right? This granola is a quintessential fall recipe. Pumpkin, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger all marry together in a delightful granola that has a bit of extra crunch from the addition of buckwheat. Buckwheat was another one of my random bulk bin purchases a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t feeling like making it into a hot cereal and I had run out of granola so I tossed it in and hoped for the best. Just like quinoa, buckwheat turned out to be a fun, crunchy addition.
If you aren’t familiar with it, buckwheat is a seed that is actually not related to wheat but rhubarb and sorrel. Like most grains, it is relatively high in protein, iron, vitamin B6, and magnesium. If you purchase gluten-free oats, this recipe can be made gluten-free. Feel free to substitute other nuts for the walnuts and pumpkin seeds. Dried cranberries would also be a tasty addition! I have been eating this granola all weekend with either a chopped pear or apple and some plain yogurt for a satisfying breakfast.Print
Add some fall flavor to your breakfast with this gluten free pumpkin buckwheat granola. Serve over yogurt with a chopped apple or pear for a filling breakfast.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1/3 cup coconut or olive oil
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour all ingredients together into a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Spread oat mixture out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet before transferring to a storage container.
If you can’t find buckwheat, use 3 cups of oats for this recipe.
- Serving Size: 96 g
- Calories: 353 kcals
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg