Happy Friday! After Wednesday’s lengthy post about sugar, I thought I would take a little break today and write about travel. I am leaving for a conference next weekend, so I have packing on my mind. Plus, the holidays are coming up and many of you may be traveling soon as well! So, I thought I would share a few of the things you will always find in my carry-on for a healthy/enjoyable trip:
1. The BAG: Will bought this camera bag for me on my birthday last year and I have been using it every time we have travelled this year. It has enough padding to keep my camera safe in addition to extra room for all of my other carry-on items.
2. My Camera: These days, I don’t go anywhere without my camera. I made the investment in a DSLR so I might as well get my money’s worth! I have a lot to learn when it comes to taking pictures of anything other than food though…
3. Sunglasses: Forgetting your sunglasses on a sunny day is the worst. So, I always try to make sure I have at least one pair of sunnies in my carry on. Find a pair with UV protection to help prevent the development of cataracts and skin cancer.
4. Scarf: One of my favorite accessories is a scarf. I almost always wear one when traveling since it can be used as a wrap around your shoulders for warmth on a chilly plane ride or as a pillow for an in-flight nap.
5. Water Bottle: It can be difficult to stay hydrated when traveling. I found that bringing my own water bottle and refilling it frequently at water fountains makes it more convenient for me to drink more water and saves money since I am not buying (and losing) new bottles of water while traveling. I’m considering buying a filtered water bottle and I’ve seen various ideas that are inspiring me to get one. I’m not sure yet though!
6. Healthy Snacks: As a dietitian, I don’t go anywhere without a healthy snack or two hidden in my bag. Typically, I stash an apple or two and some almonds. This trip, I plan to have a few of these gluten-free This Bar Saves Lives in my bag. (They can be found at Whole Foods!) I love the mission behind their company who partners with a non-profit to send packets of food to the hungry with each purchase. Something else to keep in mind is that all of these snacks pair well with yogurt from the hotel breakfast bar for a healthy on-the-go breakfast.
7. Chapstick: The dry air on the plane always leads me to get chapped lips. These days, I always try to keep a stick or two on hand in my bag. I am a big fan of these ones from Burt’s Bees.
8. A Good Book: As a book nerd, I can’t possibly travel without at least one good book in my bag. (Often two… one in my carry-on for the trip out and one in my suitcase for the return trip – ha!) Right now, I am reading and loving Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
Other things you may find in my travel bag? Tea bags, sunscreen, a small notebook, Excedrin, and gum
What types of things do you pack in your carry on? What are your favorite healthy travel snacks?