Put those cans of black beans that have been lingering in your pantry to good use in this super simple vegan one pot black bean soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste if needed
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil, pepper, and onion over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until onion begins to soften and become translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the broth, black beans, tomatoes, and red wine vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the bay leaf, oregano, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Allow soup to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup, leaving some beans/vegetables whole. (You can also transfer 1/2 of the soup to a blender and puree it until smooth and then add back into the pot.) Bring to a simmer again for another 10-15 minutes or until soup has reached desired consistency.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño, avocado, etc.
Recipe makes about 5 1/2 – 6 cups of soup depending on how long you simmer it as it thickens the longer you cook it over the stove.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 312 kcals
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 634 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 18.5 g
- Protein: 15.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg