Don’t order take out! Make this simple vegan chickpea chana masala at home in just around 30 minutes with plenty of leftovers.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (Adjust per your spice preference)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (~2 cans)
- 1 (13.5 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- For Serving: brown rice, cauliflower rice, or naan; fresh chopped cilantro; additional coconut milk or yogurt (if not vegan)
- In a large dutch oven, melt the coconut oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, ~5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and ginger. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Cook another 5-7 minutes.
Nutrition facts do not include rice/cauliflower for serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 471 kcals
- Sugar: 17.5 g
- Sodium: 245 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 21 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 14.5 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg