Will and I have fallen head over heels for artichokes this spring. I used to just pass them up in the grocery store since I had no idea how to cook them. When we were picking up a couple more artichokes to cook a couple of weeks ago, a woman came up to us and asked how we cook them. I guess I haven’t been the first to avoid artichokes since they look intimidating to prepare!
Little did I know, artichokes can be prepared in as little as 30 minutes with minimal work. Plus, they are just plain fun to eat – peeling off each leaf to dip in a bit of butter an then scrape off the tender green meat. Mmm… So today’s post is all about how to cook artichokes so you can enjoy them too before they are all gone this spring!
- Step 1: Start by peeling off some of the outermost leaves that have been beat up during shipping and bringing home from the grocery.
- Step 2: Cut off the top ~2 inches of the artichoke. Make your slice somewhere just above the top points of the bottom row of leaves. You should be able to see some of the pretty purple leaves in the middle.
- Step 3: Trim off the prickly points from the outside leaves.
- Step 4: Use a vegetable peeler to take off the tough outer layer on the stem and trim off the end.
- Step 5: Place artichokes cut-side down in a basket steamer. Cover and cook for ~30 minutes or until you can easily remove a leaf.
- Step 6: Melt ~1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Add 1 clove of garlic and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir and divide evenly between two small dishes.
- To Eat: Peel each leaf off and dip the bottom in butter. Run your teeth along the inside of the leaf to remove the tender meat. Repeat until you reach the thin, purple leaves near the center. Remove and discard these. Underneath, you’ll find the fuzzy white top of the heart. Scrape the fuzzy stuff off with a fork and discard. Now you’ve gotten to the best part – the heart! Dip this in butter and enjoy.