This vegan roasted butternut squash soup has become my favorite soup for fall. It’s super simple to whip up as everything is just roasted on a sheet pan and then blended up in the blender.
- 1 butternut squash (2 1/2–3 lb), peeled and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 3–4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk + extra for garnish (can also use lite coconut milk or plain, unsweetened soy milk)
- To serve: pumpkin seeds, parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add squash, onion, garlic, olive oil, nutmeg, thyme, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat in oil and spices.
- Transfer to a large sheet pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Transfer to a blender, add broth, and 1/2 cup coconut milk. (Make sure to leave pour top open to vent.) Puree until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, parsley.
Makes 6 1/2 cups of soup.
Use a low sodium vegetable broth if you want to lower the sodium content of this soup.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 320 kcal
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 725 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 mg
- Carbohydrates: 38.5 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg