What are your go-to meals when you are short on time or your fridge is looking a little empty? The Recipe Redux theme for the month of March was to share a recipe that you could whip up with 3 ingredients you have on hand in your fridge or pantry right now. If you follow along with me on Instagram, a few of these dishes may look a little familiar! All 3 of the dishes pictured above are ones I created near the end of the week when our fridge was looking bare and we needed to head to the grocery store again. Let’s start with the 3 ingredients we almost always have on hand for quick meals like the ones above.
- Cooked Beans: We buy dried beans in the bulk bins at the store and cook up a large pot of them on the weekend. Throughout the week, we add those cooked beans to salads or add them to other dishes for dinner. To keep ourselves from getting bored, we switch up the type of bean we purchase each week.
- Roasted Vegetables: The last few weeks, I’ve been all about roasted sweet potatoes which is why I had some leftover for the burrito above. Over the winter months, I always try to roast up a pan (or two!) of vegetables over the weekend. Throughout the week I add them to salads, macro bowls, or other dishes.
- Oats: We always have some oats in our pantry. I make a lot of hot oatmeal for breakfast when it is cold out and overnight oats in the summer. I am always experimenting with new toppings so that it doesn’t get boring.
Using those 3 ingredients as well as a few other staples, I was easily able to create the 3 dishes above. Let’s talk a bit more about what went into each one!
- Chickpea Stir Fry with Curry Sauce (top left): This one may look fancy, but I swear it took 10 minutes to whip up thanks to leftovers in the fridge! To make it, I just added some olive oil, chickpeas, kimchi, fresh spinach, and roasted cauliflower to a non-stick skillet and sautéed it until the spinach was wilted. To serve, I topped it all off with some hot sauce and a hearty drizzle of this curry yogurt sauce I had leftover from shooting the photos for that post. (On-Hand Ingredients: Chickpeas, Roasted Cauliflower, Spinach, Curry Sauce)
- Vegan Bean Burrito (top right): I actually whipped up this burrito last weekend when our fridge was looking pretty bare! I dug out a whole wheat wrap I had stored in the freezer and stuffed it with leftover black beans, sauteed garlic spinach, roasted sweet potatoes, frozen corn, salsa, and hot sauce. It was a delicious way to use up the last of the leftovers from the week. (On-Hand Ingredients: Beans, Spinach, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Tortillas)
- Oats with Cinnamon Apples (bottom right): I can’t get enough of those sautéed apples. We always buy a few apples at the store to have on hand. I just saute them in a bit of coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup until tender. I use the same ingredients (cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and maple) in the oats. Some days I will top if all off with a spoonful of melty nut butter like above or else some chopped walnuts if I have some in the pantry. It only takes a few minutes to make and is the perfect healthy and satisfying breakfast. (On-Hand Ingredients: Apples, Oats, Nuts/Nut Butter, Cinnamon)
Hope you enjoyed these 3 healthy meals you can make in minutes! Check out these other great recipes from my Recipe Redux friends!