Make this uber healthy BBQ tempeh and ranch kale bowl your go-to vegan meal for summer.
For the Bowl:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 oz.) package tempeh
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
For the Kale:
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegan ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes and toss in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Transfer to baking sheet and spread into single layer. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Cut tempeh into triangles and toss in the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Transfer to the game baking sheet as the sweet potatoes and bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer tempeh to a bowl with barbecue sauce and toss to coat. Transfer back to the pan and bake another 15 minutes. Brushing extra sauce onto tempeh halfway through baking.
- While tempeh and potatoes are baking, cut stems from kale leaves and chop. Add olive oil to large stock pot and add kale. Cook until kale has wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the yeast, parsley, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper and cook another minute. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To assemble bowls, divide potato, kale, and tempeh between 2 bowls. Drizzle with vegan ranch dressing.
This dish can also be made on the stove top if you don’t want to turn on your oven. Stir fry potatoes in oil in a skillet over medium heat tossing occasionally until softened and lightly browned.
To make the tempeh, stir fry tempeh with 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce until coated.