Brighten up your day with this cara cara orange and arugula salad that is packed with antioxidants and healthy fats.
- 1/2 cup uncooked, dry quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cara cara oranges
- 4.5 ounce package arugula
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cara cara orange, juiced (~ 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and ground black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer with cold water. Transfer to small saucepan with vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes or until broth has been absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside about 10-15 minutes to cool.
- Peel and chop oranges into small (~1″) sections. Chop almonds and avocado and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the arugula and top with the cooled quinoa. Stir to mix well. Top with orange sections, almonds, and avocado.
- To make the dressing, combine the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small mason jar. Screw on the lid and shake vigorously until well mixed.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 side salads or 2 large salads.