This dark chocolate walnut banana bread is simple to whip up and healthy enough to snack on anytime of day or night.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 3 bananas, mashed (~1 1/2 cups of mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (Or other neutral oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas well with a fork. Add the vanilla, oil, eggs, milk, and maple syrup. Stir well and then pour into the mixing bowl with the flour. Stir with a large wooden spoon just until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and dark chocolate to spread evenly in mixture.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan. Garnish with sliced banana and walnuts.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow bread to sit in pan for at least 10 minutes. Transfer loaf out of the pan and directly on cooling rack. Allow to cool another 20 minutes before slicing.
Adapted from this healthy banana bread recipe from Cookie and Kate.