The recipe for these ginger pear pop tarts is a delicious spin on your favorite childhood breakfast. Buy pie crust from the store and these are simple to whip up!
For the Pop Tarts:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pears, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (or dried ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3–4 pieces crystalized ginger, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the pear, water, ginger, and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and cook until pear has softened and sauce has formed. Turn off the heat a set aside.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread a little flour onto your counter and add one of the pie crusts. Cut into 4 rectangles. (Mine were about 3″ x 4″). Arrange 4 rectangles onto a baking sheet. Top each sheet with 2 tablespoons of the pear filling. Brush edges of the crust with the vegan butter and then lay the top crust over. Use a fork to seal the filling inside.
- Repeat with the second pie crust. Roll out the scraps and you should be able to shape enough dough to make 2 more pop tarts.
- When pop tarts are assembled, poke holes in the top with a fork to allow steam to escape. Brush the tops with the rest of the vegan butter.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake pop tarts for 22-24 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- When the pop tarts are completely cool, make the frosting by stirring together the powdered sugar, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla with a whisk. Divide evenly between the pop tarts. Sprinkle ginger over top. Allow frosting to set, about 1 hour.