Surprise your Valentine’s date with these gluten free baked chocolate donuts in bed. They pair especially well with coffee. (And maybe some fresh flowers?)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 1/3 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2–4 tablespoons coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons crushed freeze dried raspberries (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray your donut pan generously with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients including butter, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk. Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and espresso. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients mixing well to form a sticky dough.
- Spoon the dough into a large piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut off one of the corners of the bag, twist the top closed, and pipe dough into the donut pan , filling each circle 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake donuts for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean and top of donut springs back with gently pressed with your finger.
- Transfer to cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Use a whisk to sir in 2 tablespoons of the coffee and the vanilla. If glaze is still too stiff, add another 1 tablespoon of coffee. Add a second tablespoon if needed until glaze reaches a pourable consistency.
- Dip the top of each cooled donut into the glaze. Transfer to cooling rack and sprinkle with crushed raspberries, gently pressing the raspberries into the glaze.
- Allow glaze to stiffen before serving. Best served the day they are made.
***I used the Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour for this recipe. Since this flour is specially developed to be a 1:1 substitute, other gluten free flours may NOT work in this recipe!***
Donut recipe liberally adapted from the Baked Lemon Donuts with Grapefruit Glaze recipe from Lauren Kelp.
Glaze recipe adapted from Epicurous’ Chocolate Glaze.