Make this popular grilled baba ganoush, a tasty Mediterranean dip made from eggplants at home this summer. Serve with pita chips for a vegan-friendly appetizer.
- 3 small eggplants (~3 lbs worth)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/8th teaspoon paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Additional olive oil to serve, pita chips or fresh pita
- Poke eggplants with a fork on all sides and transfer to a hot grill that has been brushed with oil.
- Grill eggplants until fork tender and skin is charred, about 35-40 minutes. (This time may need adjusted depending on your grill.)
- Let grilled eggplant cool enough to handle and then peel the skin from the flesh of the eggplants. (You should be able to use a fork to scrape the flesh from the skin.)
- Transfer flesh into a colander and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While eggplants are cooling/draining, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a skillet and heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for just 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Turn off the heat and add to a food processor.
- Transfer eggplant to the food processor. Add the lemon juice, tahini, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. (The more salt the better!) Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with more paprika and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with pita chips or warmed fresh pita.
Adapted from this recipe from Bon Appetit.