Warm up with a bowl of this simple, yet hearty Italian farro soup which is chock full of fiber and vegan-friendly protein.
- 1 small head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 cup farro
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz.) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel off the outermost layers of the papery skin on the garlic (but leave the cloves still intact.) Cut off 1/4 inch of the bottom of the head of garlic, exposing the ends of some of the garlic cloves. Place cut side up on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and wrap up in the foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic out of the papery skin. Finely chop the roasted cloves or press through a garlic press to use in the soup.
- While the garlic is roasting, bring the farro and 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Cover and simmer for ~30 minutes or until the broth is absorbed and farro is chewy, but slightly underdone.
- In a large stockpot, heat the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the onion. Sauté for ~5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in the roasted garlic and tomato paste.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cooked farro, broth, bay leaf, oregano, and parsley. Bring to a simmer and stir. Once simmering, add the chickpeas and kale and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until kale has wilted and soup is hot.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe loosely adapted from this roasted garlic and white bean lasagna soup recipe from Pinch of Yum
- Serving Size: 1/5th Recipe
- Calories: 295 kcals
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 700 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Fiber: 13.5 g
- Protein: 9.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg