This mocha banana bread is a tasty twist on your traditional banana bread with richness of dark chocolate and coffee. Serve warm spread with peanut butter.
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 3 extra ripe bananas (~1 heaping cup mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola or coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add the bananas, vanilla, oil, eggs, milk, and maple syrup into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon just until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Don’t over stir.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate chips, reserving a few for the top of the bread. Stir until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips and coconut.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the top of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer out of the pan to a baking rack to cool completely before slicing.
Makes 8-10 muffins.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 249 kcals
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 214 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 125 mg