Say hello to one of my new favorite supper dishes for summer! This creamy vegan pasta sauce comes together in a matter of minutes and needs less than 10 ingredients. Toss with spaghetti noodles or spiralize some zucchini and use that in place of the pasta. I plan to do a mix of both next time I make this. 🙂
The only drawback of this recipe is that you need to remember to soak some cashews ahead of time in the fridge so that they will make a smooth puree. Since I don’t have a high powered blender, I found that soaking the cashews overnight and pureeing them in the small blender cup attachment worked perfectly for this recipe. You want to make sure you get the puree to be the consistency of a delicious frozen yogurt. If using a food processor, you’ll want to be patient. It takes a little longer to get to the right consistency!
To serve, toss the sauce in the pasta and top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. I also stirred in some fresh spinach for some extra fiber. Serve this with a side salad and a sliced vegan Italian sausage and you have a simple, balanced meal that is quick enough for even the busiest weeknight.Print
This pasta with creamy vegan tomato sauce is the perfect dinner for busy weeknights when paired with a side salad and Italian veggie sausage.
- 1 cup cashews (soaked 4 hours to overnight)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Dash of dried red pepper flakes
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 4 servings pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Add cashews and vegetable broth to high speed blender or single serving blender cup and puree until smooth – about the consistency of frozen yogurt.
- Transfer to the food processor or blender pitcher (if using single serve blender cup) and add the tomato sauce and basil. Puree again until combined.
- In a skillet, add the olive oil and onion. Cook until onion is softened and translucent. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the tomato/cashew puree. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Toss drained pasta noodles in sauce to coat well. Serve with chopped fresh basil and nutritional yeast.