Is there anything better than sitting down with a cup of coffee and a homemade treat? These vegan pumpkin donuts with maple frosting are just the thing for treating yourself on a lazy weekend morning.
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) white all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (68 g) organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup (122 g) pumpkin puree (NOT canned pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or other neutral oil)
- 1 1/2 cup (187 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons soy milk
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 1 minute. Add the sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and oil. Whisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and mix just until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a piping bag or ziploc bag with one corner cut off.
- Divide dough evenly among the 6 wells of a donut pan by piping into the wells with the piping bag. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean. Allow to cook in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer onto a cooling rack until cool.
- To make the frosting, sift powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk in maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of the milk, and salt. Stir and add more soy milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time until thin enough to spoon over donuts. You want a thick frosting for dipping the donuts.
- Spoon glaze over donuts and allow to set, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.
To bump up the maple flavor in the frosting, feel free to add up to 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring.
- Serving Size: 1 Donut
- Calories: 288 kcal
- Sugar: 36 g
- Sodium: 107 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg