This quick and easy vegan stroganoff is the perfect weeknight meal for even the busiest of nights. If you haven’t tried seitan yet, this is a great recipe for trying it out in a dish that is familiar comfort food.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounce package plain seitan, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add olive oil to a non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat for a minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until mushrooms have softened and released their moisture.
- Stir in the flour and saute until flour starts to lightly brown.
- Stir in the broth 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring well and cooking for a minute or two with each additional 1/2 cup.
- Stir in the seitan, rosemary, thyme and bring to a simmer until broth thickens to gravy consistency.
- Add the spinach. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season with the salt and pepper (adjust as needed to taste). Serve over cooked pasta.
Use a low-sodium vegetable broth to reduce the total sodium in this recipe for those with reduced sodium needs. You can also adjust the added salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Recipe
- Calories: 519 kcals
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 1785 mg
- Fat: 30 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg