This simple gluten free eggplant parmesan is a variation of the Italian classic that is simple to make and just as tasty as the real deal.
- 2 small eggplants (or 1 large)
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces shredded parmesan
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3.5 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 (28 oz.) jar marinara sauce (choose your favorite brand)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/3″ slices. Transfer to a colander and sprinkle with salt. Tossing and sprinkling with more salt to make sure all slices are salted. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Pat eggplant slices dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, break the 2 eggs and stir well with a fork. In a second small bowl, combine the parmesan cheese and almond flour.
- Grease 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Dip each eggplant slice in the eggs (coat well), then drop into the flour/parmesan mixture and coat. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with each slice.
- Bake the eggplant slices for 15 minutes on one side and flip with a spatula. Bake another 15 minutes on the second side or until coating is lightly browned.
- In an 9″x11″ baking dish, spread ~1/3 cup marinara sauce on bottom of the pan to coat. Layer eggplant slices and top with 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the sauce. Add a second layer of eggplant slices and top with the rest of the sauce and the last of the mozzarella cheese. (I sprinkled mine with dried parsley flakes to add some color.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and mozzarella cheese is melted.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 248 kcals
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 1376 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg