Make the most of tomato season and whip up this small batch tomato sauce made in one-pot with fresh tomatoes, garlic, red wine Italian seasoning, and basil.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (~1/2 onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8–10 basil leaves, chopped
- Add olive oil and onion to a large, deep skillet or enamelware pot and cook over medium-high heat until transulent and softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and red wine. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the tomato paste and Italian seasoning and continue to simmer for about 25 minutes or until tomatoes have fallen apart and sauce thickens.
- Stir in sea salt and adjust as needed to taste.
- Puree sauce if desired. Stir in chopped basil and serve.
**To make this vegan, double check that the red wine that is labelled vegan as many are processed with animal-based products.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 81 kcals
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 205 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg