This spaghetti squash with romesco sauce is a tasty alternative to your weekly spaghetti night. Serve veggie sausage and vegan parmesan for a one bowl meal.
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
For the Romesco Sauce:
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 (12 oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional – but highly recommend!)
- Dash of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2–3 veggie sausages (I used Field Roast), sliced
- 1 (5 oz) bag spinach
- Vegan parmesan (I prefer pistachios to cashews in this!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Rub olive oil on the inside of the spaghetti squash and lay cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, cashews, red pepper, garlic, onion, thyme, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to a high powered blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet and add the sausage. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Scrape out the inside of the spaghetti squash and add the to skillet. Cover in romesco sauce (I used about 1 1/2 cups). Stir in the spinach. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- To serve, plate the squash and top with sausage. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan (if desired).