Try this vegetarian and gluten free spin on a classic comfort food by whipping up this spicy tempeh stuffed peppers recipe for dinner tonight.
For the Stuffing:
- 1/2 head cauliflower (~10 oz. of cauliflower)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 8 oz. package tempeh, crumbled
- 1/2 onion, chopped (~1/3 cup chopped)
- 8 oz. package button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup salsa OR canned chipotle sauce (use chipotle if you like spicy)
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 4 bell peppers
- To serve: chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the 1/2 head cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until cauliflower resembles rice. (It should make about 2 cups of riced cauliflower.) Set aside.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the tempeh and stir fry until golden, about 7-9 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the other tablespoon of olive oil and chopped onion. Cook 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent and beginning to brown. Stir in the chopped mushrooms. Cook until moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, oregano, and cumin. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the browned tempeh, chipotle sauce and tomato sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer and turn off the heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese into the mix in the skillet. Stir until melted and evenly distributed in the filling.
- Cut bell peppers in halves lengthwise (from stem to bottom) and arrange on a baking sheet. Divide filling evenly between the halved peppers. Top with remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is browned and peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
Instead of spooning the sauce out of the can, I usually just puree the whole can of chipotle peppers and sauce together until smooth and use it in recipes.
- Serving Size: 1 pepper (2 halves)
- Calories: 322 kcals
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 472 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg