Switch up your taco Tuesday routine with these tasty tofu breakfast tacos with coconut bacon. You’ll be making them on repeat!
For the Coconut Bacon:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut chips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Tofu:
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 15 oz. extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can low sodium black beans
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Tortillas, hot sauce, shredded cheese (choose dairy free cheese for vegan tacos), cilantro, avocado, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the coconut bacon ingredients and toss well with a wooden spoon to coat the coconut chip in marinade. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until chips turn dark brown. (Watch closely in the last few minutes of baking to make sure they do not burn!) Lay chips on cooling rack until cool.
- In a skillet, add the oil and tofu. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until edges of tofu begin to lightly brown. Stir in the seasonings, milk, and nutritional yeast. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until almond milk has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and garlic. Cook one minute and then add the black beans and salsa. Bring to a simmer and stir. Cook 5-6 minutes or until beans are warmed through and sauce begins to thicken.
- To assemble tacos, layer beans, tofu, bacon, and desired toppings into tortilla and serve.