Use up all those late summer eggplants and tomatoes in this easy tomato and eggplant bake topped with mozzarella and fresh basil.
- 2 medium eggplants (~2 1/2 lbs total)
- 4 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used 2 large heirloom tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 1 small bunch basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise and cut crosswise into meat of eggplant (as seen above), making sure to leave skin intact. (You don’t want to end up cutting it into cubes!) Salt cut sides generously and place in 9″x11″ baking dish. Set aside.
- Chop tomatoes and toss with onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Check on eggplants and pat away any moisture and extra salt with a paper towel. Pour tomato mixture into bottom of the pan and place eggplants on top.
- Brush cut sides of eggplants with olive oil and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes or until eggplants are very tender when poked with a fork. Brush with additional olive oil as needed during cooking.
- Top with mozzarella and place under broiler on high for 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown in spots.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Top with fresh basil leaves and serve!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 318 kcals
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 930 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg