- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 2 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups plant based milk (I used plain, unsweetened soy milk)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking; use gluten free if needed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional – see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8″x8″ baking dish.
- Add ground flax seed and warm water to a large mixing bowl and stir. Set aside for 1-2 minutes to form a gel.
- Add bananas to the large mixing bowl and mashed well with a fork.
- Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients (milk, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla).
- Add dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add to the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and middle is set. Allow to cool for ~8-10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with extra plant milk, sliced bananas, peanut butter, and hemp hearts (if desired).
Variations: Feel free to use chocolate chips, pecans, or nut butter in place of the walnuts.
- Serving Size: 1/4th Recipe
- Calories: 346 kcals
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 425 mg
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg