This vegan broccoli and cheese soup is a big bowl of comfort food for the rainiest of days. Serve it up with some crunchy croutons and a sprinkle of paprika.
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced (6.5 oz)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed (10 oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1/2 onion)
- 8 cups chopped broccoli (Two 10 oz broccoli crowns)
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15 oz.) can full fat coconut milk OR 2 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce (use tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon each and adjust as needed)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds (I like VioLife), optional
- To serve: croutons, sliced green onion, vegan shredded cheese, coconut bacon
- Fill a saucepan with 1″ water and add steamer basket. Bring to a boil and add the carrots and potato to the steamer basket. Cover and cook until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and allow to cool off for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil and onion to a large pot. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent and tender. Stir in the broccoli, 2 cups of the broth, and milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the reserved 1 cup of vegetable broth, yeast, paprika, and soy sauce to the food processor/blender with the carrots and potato. Puree until smooth and stir into the pot with the broccoli. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until mixture is starting to simmer.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour about 1/2 of the soup into the same food processor/blender and blend until smooth OR use an immersion blender to puree some of the soup. (I still like to leave some broccoli pieces whole). Transfer back into the pot with the rest of the soup. Stir in vegan cheddar cheese if using.
- To serve, divide into bowls and top with croutons, paprika, vegan cheese, coconut bacon, or whatever other toppings you have on hand.
Recipe makes about 7 cups of soup.
Nutrition facts below include plain soy milk.
Psst! Don’t toss your broccoli stems! Peel them so that you are left with the tender core and chop up with the rest of your broccoli. You won’t even be able to tell they are there in the finished soup!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 185 kcal
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg