These vegan grapefruit poppyseed muffins are the perfect addition to your spring brunch menu or enjoy as a healthy afternoon snack.
For the Muffins:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (+ ~2 T. more for sprinkling on muffins)
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond (or other plant-based) milk
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (coconut or canola work well)
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon almond (or other plant-based) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with papers.
- Mix together the flax seeds and water in a small bowl with a fork. Set aside until gel forms.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppyseeds, salt, and coconut. Stir well.
- Add the grapefruit juice, maple syrup, milk sugar, oil, zest, and flax/water mixture to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
- Divide dough evenly between 12 wells in muffin tin. (I use an old fashioned ice cream scoop which fills each muffin cup perfectly!) Sprinkle with additional shredded coconut if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- To make the glaze, stir together the sugar, grapefruit juice, and almond milk with a fork or whisk until no clumps remain. Add more grapefruit juice 1/2 teaspoon at a time if glaze is still too thick. Drizzle over muffins. Sprinkle with zest. Serve!