You’ll love this vegan version of a classic comfort food, macaroni and cheese! A simple cashew sauce add richness and broccoli give it a a pop of color.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (~1/2 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 20 minutes in hot water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 8 oz broccoli, chopped
- Heat water in a small mixing bowl in the microwave until starting to boil. Add cashews and let soak for 20 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a deep skillet and heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté 3-5 minutes or until translucent and tender. Add garlic and sauté another 1 minute. Transfer to blender.
- Add cashews, broth, milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, turmeric, miso, and vinegar to the blender and puree everything until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli to the pot in the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Drain pasta and broccoli and add to the same deep skillet used to cook the onions. Turn on low heat and pour sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season with salt to taste and serve!
Make it gluten free by using gluten free macaroni noodles.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 500 kcals
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 27 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg