This vegan pumpkin gingerbread has sugar and spice and everything nice! It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family this holiday season. Recipe adapted from this vegan pumpkin bread from Love & Lemons.
For the Bread:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpin pie spice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or other neutral cooking oil)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (can use any plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons molasses
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seed and water, stir and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the pumpkin, oil, brown sugar, milk, flax egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just until everything is mixed and then pour into a well-oiled 9″x5″ bread pan.
- Bake bread for 55-65 minutes. Test with a toothpick and cook an additional 5-10 minutes if toothpick does not come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely. Transfer bread out of the pan using the parchment paper.
- Combine the powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons milk, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir well. Pour glaze over the top of your cooled bread loaf and sprinkle with chopped ginger. Allow to sit until hardened and then slice and serve!