Who needs beef stroganoff when you can whip up this healthy vegan seitan and mushrooms with polenta dish in just 30 minutes?!
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4–1/2 cup almond or soy milk, unsweetened (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- (1) 8 ounce package seitan, sliced in strips
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat broth/water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Stir in the polenta. Cook, stirring frequently until liquid is absorbed and polenta forms a pudding texture, about 20-25 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover. (For extra creaminess or a thinner polenta, stir in 1/4-1/2 cup of plain almond milk.) Season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms have released some of their liquid and begin to brown slightly.
- Stir in the flour. Add the vegetable broth and wine and continue to stir. Add the oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder, and a dash each of salt and black pepper.Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until thickened to gravy consistency.
- Stir in the sliced seitan and cook another 2 minutes or until seitan is heated through.
- Divide seitan and polenta evenly among 2-3 bowls and serve.