This vegan shakshuka can be whipped up in 30 minutes and uses only one pan. It is the perfect weeknight meal for busy summer nights.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mild harissa sauce (optional)
- 1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 16 oz. container of silken tofu
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley
- Naan or pita bread
- Place tofu on a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside to drain some of the excess liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, and garlic. Stir to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the harissa sauce, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir. Cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Chop tofu into large chunks and transfer to skillet. Stir gently to distribute through tomato sauce. Cook or 3-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with naan bread and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serving Size: 1/3 recipe
- Calories: 379 kcals
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 20 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 10.5 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg