Rather than ordering take-out nachos, make these delicious vegan tempeh nachos at home. They are drizzled with a vegan “cheese” sauce you’ll want to put on everything!
For the “Cheese” Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 large (~4 oz) carrot, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 russet potato (~9 oz), peeled and cubed
- 2–3 tablespoons liquid (water, soy milk, vegetable broth – they all work well)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and hot sauce (I like Cholula), to taste
For the Tempeh:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 oz.) package tempeh, crumbled
- 2/3 cup enchilada sauce
- Tortilla chips, salsa, chopped red onion, avocado, tomatoes, lime, fresh cilantro
To Make the “Cheese” Sauce:
- Bring a few cups of water to boil and turn off heat. Add cashews and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add a steamer basket to a saucepan filled with 1″ of water. Add the carrot and potato. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- In a high powered blender or single serving blender cup, add the cashews, steamed veggies, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, paprika, and apple cider vinegar. Add just 1 tablespoon of liquid and turn on blender to puree everything. If too thick, add another 1 tablespoon of liquid and repeat until cheese sauce is desired consistency. (I usually use 2 tablespoons.) Puree until smooth and season with salt and hot sauce to taste.
To Make the Tempeh:
- Add oil and onion to a non-stick skillet and saute over medium-high heat until onion is tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer until most of the liquid from the enchilada sauce has cooked off.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a serving dish and top with tempeh, cheese sauce, and chopped vegetables and salsa.
When storing leftover vegan “cheese” sauce in the fridge, it will thicken up. To thin it out again when you are ready to eat it, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of broth as you reheat it on low heat in a saucepan.
**Note: nutrition facts are for cheese sauce and tempeh only.**
- Serving Size: 1/5th recipe
- Calories: 297 kcal
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg