This vegan tortilla soup tastes like it was cooking on the stove for hours but can actually be whipped up in about 30 minutes!
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1/2 onion)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped (use less if sensitive to spice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (fresh works too)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can mild hatch green chiles
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 4–6 corn tortillas, sea salt, 2-3 tablespoons canola oil
- Lime wedges, sour cream and cheese (if not vegan), fresh cilantro
- Optional: a sprinkle of Trader’s Joe’s chili lime seasoning (I love that stuff!)
- Add the olive oil, onion, and jalapeño to a large pot or dutch oven. Sauté for 4-6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the corn, water, broth, black beans, tomatoes, and green chiles. Bring soup to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add lime juice and salt. Taste and season more if needed.
- Dish soup out into bowls and top with your favorite toppings: avocado, sour cream, cheese, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, and tortilla strips.
To Make the Tortilla Strips:
- Thinly slice tortillas into ~1/3 inch strips.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons canola oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add tortilla strips in batches and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt. (They will crisp as they cool.)
Recipe makes ~8 cups soup total. Each serving is 1 1/2 cups of soup.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 193 kcals
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 317 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg