This vegetarian lentil pot pie topped with a flakey and butter sheet of puff pastry is simple and elegant enough to serve as an entree this Thanksgiving.
For the Lentils:
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1/8th teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 (14 oz.) sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- The night before you plan on making this, move your puff pastry to the fridge to start thawing overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium saucepan, add the lentils and broth. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until broth is absorbed and lentils are tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, head the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until tender and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook another 1 minute.
- Stir in the mixed vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, tossing to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in the broth, stirring continuously. Add the soy sauce, herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary), salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in the cooked lentils and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Cut puff pastry unto 4 pieces. You’ll be using just 1/4 of the pastry for this recipe. Gently roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to cover your skillet.
- If using an oven safe skillet, drape puff pastry over the filling in the skillet and trim the edges as needed. You can also transfer filling to an 8″x8″ glass baking dish and cover with puff pastry sheet.
- Cut slits into the puff pastry for steam to escape and bake for 10-12 minutes or until pastry starts to brown.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 375 degrees Fahreneit and continue to bake another 20-25 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you can’t find puff pastry, you can also use a store-bought/homemade pie crust OR phyllo dough.
Make this vegan buy using a vegan pie crust or phyllo dough instead of puff pastry. 🙂
- Serving Size: 1/5th recipe
- Calories: 345 kcal
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 900 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg