Wow your friend with this tasty vegetarian sausage stuffing this Thanksgiving. It has all the flavor of traditional stuffing and is packed with flavorful vegetables.
- 8 cups chopped white or whole wheat bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 in. white leek stem, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
- 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8th teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 meatless apple sage sausages, chopped (I used FieldRoast brand)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread bread pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 35-45 minutes until toasted. Set aside.
- Turn the oven heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the bread is baking, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet or enamel dutch oven. Add the onion, leek, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and parsnip. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until onion is softened and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rosemary, sage, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook another 1 minute and then turn off the heat. Transfer to a 9″ x 11″ baking dish and set aside.
- In the same pot/skillet, add the sausage. Saute over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until browned. (Add another 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan if needed to keep sausage from sticking.)
- Add the sausage to the vegetable mixture in the baking dish and stir.
- Pour in the bread cubes and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the broth, pumpkin, and eggs. Stir well with a whisk until well mixed. Pour over the bread and vegetable mixture in the baking dish. Stir until mixed.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake and additional 10-15 minutes or until top is browned.
- Serving Size: 1/8th Recipe
- Calories: 186 kcal
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 610 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg