Give your oven a break and whip up this vegetarian slow cooker enchilada casserole which is chock full of chopped vegetables layered between cheese and tortillas.
- 12 oz. jar enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked or 1 (15 oz.) can drained and rinsed kidney beans
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8th teaspoon ground black pepper
- 9 (10″ round) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Stir together the enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop all of your vegetables (onion, zucchini, pepper, jalapeño, garlic) and add them to a large mixing bowl. Add the kidney beans and corn to the bowl as well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce/tomato mix evenly onto the bottom of your slow cooker. Add one layer of 3 flour tortillas over top. (I was able to set 2 tortillas side by side and then cut the third in half to cover the leftover space.)
- Add 1/2 of the chopped vegetables and 1/3 of the sauce/tomato mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese and then repeat.
- Top with one last layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.
- Cover with a lid and cook on high for 3 hours. (You may need to check it about 2 hours in and poke a few holes into the top tortillas with a knife to let some steam escape. You’ll notice that they start to puff up!)
- Turn to “keep warm” setting until ready to serve.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, hot sauce, and sour cream.
Note that the tortillas tend to get very soft when making enchiladas like this in the slow cooker, but the recipe still tastes great! If you want to add some more texture, I like to crumble some tortilla chips on top when serving for some crunch. If you want a more classic baked enchilada casserole recipe, check out my walnut mushroom enchilada casserole.
- Serving Size: 1/6 Recipe
- Calories: 505 kcals
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 800 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg