Step up your salad game by making this warm farro salad with roasted root vegetables! Simple ingredients like roasted vegetables, lemon and rosemary complement each other perfectly.
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (~3 1/2 cups)
- 2–3 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins OR quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- Dash of sea salt and ground black pepper
For the Farro:
- 1 cup dry semi pearled farro
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
For the Salad:
- 1/2 (5 oz.) bag baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (OR 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder)
- 1/2 lemon juiced (~1/2 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (omit if vegan)
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the roasted vegetables:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss squash, carrots, and red onion in olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until tender and lightly browned, about 45-55 minutes. Once roasted, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
For the farro:
- Meanwhile, bring broth and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the farro, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain any extra liquid and transfer to a large non-stick skillet and set aside.
For the Salad:
- Add your spinach and garlic to the same skillet as the warm farro and sauté over medium-low heat just until spinach is wilted.
- Add to the mixing bowl with the roasted vegetables.
- Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary, vinegar, olive oil, goat cheese, pistachios, and cranberries. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm or chilled.
- Salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezes well in an airtight container. When ready to eat, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight or microwave in covered dish until warm.
- Serving Size: 1/5 salad
- Calories: 315 kcals
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 80 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.5 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg