Vegan Ramen Soup with Crispy Tofu
No need to order takeout again, make this simple vegan ramen soup with crispy tofu at home! It is loaded with colorful vegetables and a flavorful broth you won't be able to get enough of.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time40 minutes mins
Total Time50 minutes mins
Course: Entree, Main Dish
Cuisine: Asian-inspired, Vegan
Servings: 4 -5
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 16 oz. package extra firm tofu chopped into 1" cubes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounce package baby portobello mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste OR 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 heaping cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 4 carrots peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cup water
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 5 oz package baby spinach leaves
- 2 2.8 oz packets ramen noodles (flavor packet discarded)
Fill a medium saucepan with water and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the ramen noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
In a large stock pot, add 1 tablespoon of the canola oil, sesame oil, mushrooms, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until onion is starting to soften and turn translucent.
Stir in the ginger, garlic, cabbage, carrots. Cook another 2-3 minutes until cabbage starts to wilt.
Stir in the water, broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer.
Stir in the sriracha, vinegar, and spinach. Cook for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
While soup is simmering, add the other 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a nonstick skillet. Arrange tofu in a single layer in pan and cook for 5 minutes on one side. Turn each piece once bottom is browned and allow to cook on the second side another 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat until all sides of tofu are lightly browned. Set aside.
To serve, divide noodles into 4 bowls and ladle soup over the noodles. Top with tofu and drizzle with sriracha and chopped green onion to serve.
Serving: 1/5 recipe | Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.5g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 5.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 17.5g | Sodium: 1809mg | Fiber: 6.5g | Sugar: 8g