Hot Spiced Wine
This hot spiced wine is the perfect cocktail for the coldest winter nights. Since it makes enough for a small crowd, invite your friends over to enjoy a glass with you!
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1/2 orange, sliced
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup brandy
- Orange slices for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
Add wine, orange juice, orange slices, maple syrup, and spices (cinnamon, anise, and cloves) to a medium saucepan and turn heat on low.
Heat on very low for about 20-30 minutes or until fragrant. Do not simmer or boil.
Turn off the heat and remove orange slices and strain out the spices. Stir in the brandy.
Serve hot in glasses garnished with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
- Red wine suggestions: Use a dry red wine like Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, or Pinot Noir. You can also use a red wine blend.
- Brandy alternative: You can also use bourbon in this recipe if you don't have brandy.
- For a sweeter mulled wine: add 2 cups apple cider to the pot when cooking. We love making it with apple cider!
- Spices: Spices can also be added to a bit of cheesecloth that has been tied up with string if you don't want to strain before serving.
- Crockpot: Add all of the ingredients from step one to a crockpot and heat on low for 1 hour until hot and then switch to "keep warm" setting until ready to serve.
Serving: 1Drink | Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 375mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 57IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg