Peach and Tomato Panzanella Salad
This simple peach and tomato panzanella salad is the best way to enjoy the best of summer produce before it's gone!
- 4 1/2 cups cubed sourdough bread (1" cubes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- 2 medium-large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 small peaches, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled red onion OR thinly sliced raw red onion
- Flakey sea salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Preheat the oven to400 degrees. Add bread to a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss to coat in olive oil and then toast in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and italian seasoning to a jar. Cover tightly with lid and shake to combine.
Add the chopped tomatoes, peaches, red onion, toasted bread and basil to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to combine. Season with flakey sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Let salad sit for 15-30 minutes before serving.
- To make pickled red onion: To a jar, add 1 thinly sliced small red onion, 1/2 cup hot water, 2/3 cup white vinegar, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 5-6 whole black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar. Stir and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight before use.
- To make ahead: store the bread, salad dressing, and salad ingredients (peaches, tomatoes, pickled onion, and basil) separately and then combine when ready to serve. The bread can get very soggy if you try to store overnight.
- Make it gluten free: swap the sourdough for your favorite gluten free bread.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 40.5g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17.5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13.5g | Cholesterol: 6.5mg | Sodium: 390mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10.5g