I was provided with free samples of Bluecoat gin for this post. However, the recipe and opinions are all my own.
This pretty in pink cocktail is perfect for your Valentine! On these cloudy winter days, I can’t help but fill my shopping basket with as many sunny citrus fruits as I can. When it comes to cocktails, I love palomas, ie. tequila and grapefruit juice. So when I received a few samples of Bluecoat gin, I thought I would experiment by swapping out the tequila for gin. The combo was good, but it just needed a little something. Hence, the ginger liqueur! A local Chicago distillery makes a great ginger liqueur that added just the right amount of sweet ginger taste to this drink. If you are having trouble finding a ginger liqueur though, a homemade ginger simple syrup would work well too.
Will and I still haven’t made plans for Valentine’s Day yet… Now that we live in such a big city, we still need to work on our procrastination since so many restaurants book up far in advance. Perhaps we’ll stay in and cook up something a little fancier together that night. (I’ve been wanting to pick up a copy of Date Night In for special occasions like this.) I know one thing for sure, we’ll be sipping on these ginger grapefruit cocktails!
I also have a decadent brownie recipe coming at you later this week that would be the perfect ending to a homemade Valentine’s dinner.
- 3 ounces gin (I used Bluecoat)
- 1 ounce ginger liqueur
- 3 ounces fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, strained
- Soda water
- Fill two high ball glasses with some ice.
- Squeeze grapefruit and strain through a fine sieve or cheese cloth to remove pulp. Pour into a cocktail shaker or mason jar.
- Add gin and and ginger liqueur to your shaker or jar. Shake well to combine.
- Divide mixture between two prepared glasses. Top off with soda water and garnish with grapefruit wedges.