Will and I are headed to Pictured Rocks State Park in the upper peninsula tomorrow to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary! I’m crossing my fingers that the trees up there have burst into their pretty fall colors. 🙂 In order to use up a few extra apples we had hanging out on the counter before our trip, I made a pan of this delicious vegan bourbon apple crisp. I’m not usually one to reach for a fruit based dessert (give me all the chocolate!) but crisps are my weakness.
I used a lot less sugar in this recipe than many you might find online and replaced butter with coconut oil for the topping so that this could be vegan-friendly too. I had success using coconut oil in a summer crisp before and couldn’t wait to try it again on this apple version. The bourbon here adds delicious depth to the sauce that forms while the crisp cooks. Serve this vegan bourbon apple crisp with a dollop of vanilla ice cream (vegan or regular) –> heaven!Print
A classic dessert gets a makeover with this vegan bourbon apple crisp recipe. Coconut oil is the secret to the vegan crumb topping!
For the Apple Layer:
- 6 apples (I used a variety), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the apple layer ingredients and toss to coat. Transfer to an 8″x8″ baking dish. Shake pan to spread apples into an even layer.
- In a bowl, combine all of the crumb topping ingredients. Use your fingers to break up the coconut oil and spread through mixture until crumbly. Evenly pour topping over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is browned and thick sauce has formed in bottom of dish. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.