A classic dessert gets a makeover with this vegan bourbon apple crisp recipe. Coconut oil is the secret to the vegan crumb topping!
Will and I are headed to Pictured Rocks State Park in the upper peninsula tomorrow to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary! I’m crossing my fingers that the trees up there have burst into their pretty fall colors. 🙂 In order to use up a few extra apples we had hanging out on the counter before our trip, I made a pan of this delicious vegan bourbon apple crisp. I’m not usually one to reach for a fruit based dessert (give me all the chocolate!) but crisps are my weakness.
The secret to making a vegan friendly crumb topping was to replace the butter with coconut oil. I had success using coconut oil in a summer crisp before and couldn’t wait to try it again on this apple version!
The bourbon here adds delicious depth to the sauce that forms while the crisp cooks. I’m not the biggest fan of bourbon but my partner loves it so he always drinks it. Serve this vegan bourbon apple crisp with a dollop of vanilla ice cream (vegan or regular) –> heaven!
More Yummy Recipes You’ll Love
- Pavlova with Boozy Berry Sauce
- Vegan Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes
- Easy Vegan Brownies
- Chocolate Cookies with Coffee Glaze
Vegan Bourbon Apple Crisp
For the Apple Layer:
- 6 apples I used a variety, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats not quick cooking
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil solid
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the apple layer ingredients and toss to coat. Transfer to an 8"x8" baking dish. Shake pan to spread apples into an even layer.
- In a bowl, combine all of the crumb topping ingredients. Use your fingers to break up the coconut oil and spread through mixture until crumbly. Evenly pour topping over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is browned and thick sauce has formed in bottom of dish. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.